Home > General Musings > Tatts Customer Care Encouraged Me To Keep Gambling – Government Doesn’t Respond to Complaint

It’s been a busy couple of weeks and I haven’t kept up my posts as much as I’d like to be able to due to work commitments and the death of my father in law. I’ll be posting a further update on Tatts Lotteries odds, including the enormous amount I spent on the Super 7’s Oz Lotto $50m jackpot draw.

For now, I wanted to share with you all some advice I received from Tattersalls Customer Care when I emailed in last year. I essentially emailed in with a very simple question – that their web site advertisers winners everywhere, including winner stories, but all my tickets keep losing.

The response I received from customer care was, essentially, that “persistence pays“. In other words, keep blowing money on their lotteries, it’ll all work out in the end. Literally – persistence = keep gambling, pays = you’ll end up in front.

Is this a responsible reply to somebody who, via simple look up on their member system, was losing tens of thousands of dollars? That, in order to mitigate my losses, I should keep on gambling?

It’s exactly this kind of behavior that fuels problem gambling. In 2012, following that email, I have now lost over $9,000 playing these lotteries. Tattersalls, meanwhile, have pocketed tens of millions of dollars of profit from these gambling operations. And yet, here I am, persistently playing. As advised by their caring customer representative.

I have since emailed my concerns to the Government, who have essentially hand balled the complaint and have not responded to the complaint nor taken any action. And why should they? The Government is also pocketing millions from “administering” these lotteries.

Meanwhile, thousands of Australian people and their families continue to spiral into debt and gambling problems.

Advertisements
  1. Anonymous
    May 2, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Why don’t you stop gambling then?

• May 2, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Because, apparently, persistence pays. Tattersalls are, apparently, heavily regulated. So I can only assume such advice as being sound and reasonable. Right?
      Having just lost my father in law, I thank you for your compassionate anonymous feedback on my blog.

2. Mr Maccority
    June 20, 2012 at 9:12 am

I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. if you keep playing forever, you’ll eventually achieve approximately the advertised odds. If you can’t afford to gamble at the level you are at the moment, pick the level you CAN afford and stick to it. That way you can still have your dream without losing your house.

• June 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hi there – many thanks for posting your comment. I appreciate your feedback regarding the odds that might potentially be achieved over time, however, nowhere on the Tatts site or material does it actually state this. In fact, the Odds of Winning are presented as if these are a consistent experience to both a casual and long-term player. In that sense, they’re promoted as a typical player experience whereas, as you’ve pointed out, you might have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to actually achieve those odds. So in that sense, I purport that promoting the games with those odds in this fashion is typically misleading. I hope you agree with that.

FYI I’ve significantly cut back on my playing, coming to the realization that I’ve been very much sucked in to wasting thousands on what appears to be a fair chance of winning (and I mean, winning something back, not winning a jackpot). It has turned out to be anything but that, both devastating and disappointing. You’ve provided some really sound advice and I’ve approved your comment in light of hoping others come across this blog of turmoil and also adopt this advice. The fact is, thinking by playing more gives you ‘more chances to win’ only mystifies you into an entirely false sense of having a better chance to win, that will ultimately lead you into debt traps and depression as you wonder who the so called “lucky few” are and why you aren’t amongst them.
      Cheers!

3. Mr Maccority
    June 22, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks,

I like to have a flutter a bit myself but can see the dangers of getting sucked in. I’m glad you’re getting your gambling under control. For what it’s worth, I picked something I was spending a bit on that I figured I could do without (in my case alcohol) and converteda proportion of that money I was spending to my “fund”. I don’t expect to win, but hope some day the numbers will fall my way, and in the meantime I enjoy the dreaming.

4. Mb3
    November 2, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Hi Tattsloser, you may find the following interesting reading, which attempts to calculate the real odds, as opposed to those quoted by Tatts:

I commend you on your blog. All the best.

1. No trackbacks yet.